Summer in Amsterdam – 8 fun things to do
Summer is around the corner and so are all the fun activities planned during summer in Amsterdam. To give you some inspiration, here are our 8 favorite things to do in Amsterdam during this lovely season.
Summer Festivals in Amsterdam
Going to a festival is one of the best ways to enjoy the weather, your friends and some great music. Lucky for you there are many festivals planned in Amsterdam during this summer. Here are two of our favorites:
- Open air is one of the biggest festivals held in Gaasperpark, where DJ’s play all kinds of music: RnB, Disco, Techno and many more happy tunes.
- Appelsap (translated ‘Applejuice’) is a festival for the hiphop-lovers among us. Appelsap is really a fun festival to go to in Amsterdam during summer.
Food festival in Amsterdam
- Rollende keukens: every May the biggest food festival takes place in Westerpark. You will indulge in a world of food from all over the world; from typical Dutch snacks to Moroccan tajine. There’s food for everybody’s taste.
Tasting Culture in Summer Amsterdam
Amsterdam is a city known for their museums, cultural attractions and their history. At the Museum Square there is a cool and cozy museum you should definitely add to your ‘to do in Amsterdam during summer list’ called Moco Museum.
Visit Moco Museum to combine a cultural trip while still enjoying the fresh air and sun rays touching your skin. In Moco Museum you will find contemporary art of street artists Banksy, Icy and Sot, Daniel Arsham and many more artists. It’s quite a small museum so you could first enjoy all the art inside and later outside in the Moco garden. Buy your tickets here.
Good vibes of summer Amsterdam
- A free, but always nice idea is to go for is a picnic or barbecue in the park. Where you can blast out your favourite songs through the speakers, sunbathe and catch up with your friends. And luckily Amsterdam has many parks, such as; Vondelpark, Westerpark, het Amsterdamse bos, Rembrandtpark or Oosterpark.
- One thing that should definitely not be missing out on your ‘to-do-list’ in summer Amsterdam is renting a boat to see the beautiful canals of Amsterdam. You can be your own captain and decide which things you want to see and which not.
- If a picknick or barbecue isn’t really your thing, you might want to try some of the great bars with their terraces that the Pijp district has to offer. By the way, de Pijp is also famous for their ‘Albert Cuypmarkt’ where you can find many Dutch delicacies.
Style yourself as a ‘Dutchie’ by buying clothes second hand:
- A fun thing to do during summer in Amsterdam is to visit ‘de Ijhallen’. It’s a place where people can rent a stall and sell their clothes. If you go there, you can find great second hand steals. ‘De Ijhallen’ is located in the North of Amsterdam at NDSM-werf and takes place during weekends. The entrance fee will cost you 6 euro. A tip; bring cash as they don’t accept cards.
We cannot wait for summer to begin to try all these fun things to do in Amsterdam!